Skip to content
首页 » 生活常识 » 留学生毕业后驾照可延期至 Grace Period 结束

留学生毕业后驾照可延期至 Grace Period 结束


驾照期限由 Legal Status 决定

要想申请(或延期)驾照,需要在美国有合法身份(legal status)。对于 J/F/M 学生和访问学者签证来说,legal status 由 I-20/DS-2019 决定,和签证本身是否到期无关;此外,访学结束后 F 签证有 60 天 grace period,而 J/M 签证有 30 天,此宽限期内仍然是合法身份,可参考下面这篇文章。

J/F/M 学生签证和访问学者的 15/30/60 天「宽限期」

既然有合法身份,只要同时满足居住等其他要求,应该可以延期美国驾照,Virginia 的 William & Mary 大学对此有详细解释 [来源]

William & Mary 大学的说明

If you are graduating, but not applying for OPT or AT (or it has not yet been approved), or if you are a scholar and your program is ending, you can extend your license or ID card for your grace period.

You have a grace period (60 days for F-1 students, 30 days for J-1 students and scholars) where you can legally remain in the US after your I-20 or DS-2019 ends. You can renew your license or ID for this period, but DMV will not extend it if your grace period ends less than 30 days from when you apply.

  • J-1 students and scholars: Renew your license/ID card by the date your DS-2019 expires, as your grace period is 30 days after this.
  • F-1 students: Renew your license/ID card at least 30 days before your grace period ends.
  • OPT: If you applied for OPT but do not have your OPT card, you can also apply for a 60 day extension of your driver’s license or ID. When you receive your OPT card, you can apply for another extension of your license/ID card for the length of your work authorization.


  • Valid passport with F-1 or J-1 visa (even if it’s expired)
  • I-94 card or printout
  • Proof of Virginia residency
  • Proof of SSN (if you have been issued one)
  • I-20 or DS-2019 (even if it’s expired)
    • F-1 students: The eligibility for the 60 day extension is listed on page 3 of your I-20 under 「Instructions to Students」, in the section called, 「Period of Stay.」
  • Students only:
    • Students graduating in May 2019: Complete an Enrollment Verification/Degree Verification Request. Submit this signed form to Emily Bailey at the Reves Center before Friday, May 3, 2019.
    • You will receive a letter from the Registrar’s Office with proof of completion of your studies (letter from the Registrar’s Office). You will receive an email when it is ready, so that you can pick it up, or you can have it mailed to you. Letters will be available a few days before or after graduation.
    • This letter must have an original signature, and must be from someone with the title 「Registrar.」 It must say that you have completed degree requirements. Please use the form template above, and do not request an emailed or faxed version, as the DMV will reject scanned/faxed copies.
    • VIMS students can submit this form during our Sowers House office hours, 1:00-3:30pm, first and third Thursdays of the month, or can email them to Emily.
    • Undergraduate exchange, Law exchange, and ELP students: Your letter will be different. Request it here:
      • DMV Letter Request (Non-Degree Students) (iStart)
        • Login to iStart using your W&M ID and Password.
        • Click on International Office in the menu on the left-hand side.
        • Then, click on DMV Letter Request (Non-Degree Students) and complete the form.


对于 F/J/M 签证的留学生和访问学者,学业结束后的 60/30 天 grace period 内仍然是合法身份、可拥有所在州驾照,但以 Virginia 为例,需要在宽限期结束前至少 30 天提交延期申请。建议联系你所在大学的国际学生工作处,看他们是否能提供详尽的指示。如果不能,带齐你的身份文件(I-20/DS-2019 等),以及申请/延期驾照所需要的其他所有文件,到所在地的 DMV/MVA 咨询或办理,ask to speak with a supervisor if necessary 。

Derek Yang

生于湖南,求学于北京,先后在广东、北京、DC 工作。一代移民,生活在美东小镇。

Disclosure: We are an Amazon Associate. Some links on this website are affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or receive a referral fee when you sign up or make a purchase through those links.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Stock images sponsored by | Skimlinks