聊天的时候无意中提起这个话题，似乎很多人都不清楚：除外交签证外，所有外籍居民，包括持有绿卡的永久居民，搬家 10 天之内必须通知 USCIS，否则属于 “Misdemeanor Crime”，可能导致以下后果：
- 最高 $200 美元罚款，或者／以及最高 30 天监禁。
外国人搬家通知 USCIS 的法律规定
Notifying USCIS of a Change of Address Is Important
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant/petitioner to ensure USCIS has the correct address information on file. [...]
Non-U.S. Citizens: By law, you must complete Form AR-11 to report any change in permanent address within 10 days. [...]
Note penalty: Willful failure to give written notice to USCIS of a change of address within 10 days is a misdemeanor crime, and could also jeopardize the ability to obtain a future immigration benefit.
A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you (or the parent or legal guardian of an alien under 14 years of age who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA Section 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of your stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.
- Diplomats (visa status A);
- Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G); and
- Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days.
每个人的情况不一样，首先你需要搞清楚自己的身份和状态，参见 USCIS 官网说明。对于大部分外国公民，只要没有 “Pending Case”，去 USCIS 官网在线提交即可：
- 打开 USCIS 官网，“Change of Address”；“Is this change of address for an application or petition currently in progress?” → No。
- 你会看到下面这个 “Success” 提示，如果留了邮箱，还会收到 Email 通知（最好留一个，这样以后如果记不清自己是否通知 USCIS 了可以通过邮件搜出来）。
如果你不能在网上改地址，可以填写 AR-11 表格通知移民局。表格可点击这里在 USCIS 官网下载，邮寄地址在表格中有。
读者 Phy 说：「留学生如果没有跟 USCIS 申请什么东西的话，应该是不需要联系 USCIS 的。因为留学生需要向学校申报更改地址，学校会把信息报到 SEVIS 里，而 SEVIS 是 ICE 管理的系统。法律要求的“跟移民局申报”应该指的是 DHS，而 USCIS 和 ICE 都属于 DHS，没有工作许可的留学生正常跟 USCIS 不需要打交道。」
可能是的。如果你不确定的话应该联系国际学生工作处。Boston University 官网是这么说的 [来源]：
- F-1 and J-1 Students – No additional steps are required. When you update your Immigration-U.S. Address in Student Link, it will be reported electronically to DHS through the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- J-1 Students who possess a DS-2019 NOT issued by Boston University –Report to J program sponsor. You must report the address change to the institution or organization issued your Form DS-2019 in order to comply with DHS requirements.
- Students in immigration classifications other than F-1 or J-1 – Report address change directly to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Go to the USCIS website to report your change of address electronically. If you are unable submit the electronic notification, the Form AR-11 can be downloaded from the USCIS website, completed and mailed to USCIS within the 10 reporting days.
搬家经常是件很麻烦的事情，可参考我们下面的 check list 和经验。